About Me

My photo
I am a bag of surprises ... sometimes, I amaze myself. Wish I blogged on a more regular basis ...

Friday, August 19, 2011

Police Story - Part 1


At the mention of Police, we normally relate to rude, potbellied, balding men sworn to evil, kings of extortion etc etc. My impression was not any different until …

On one of my trips to Chennai, I was driving my dad’s bike. I had to do 10 yards in a no-entry path and then join another road where I would join traffic in the correct direction. And there he was at the 10th yard. He got a hold of me and turned off my bike and took the keys. I had just watched 2 other guys who successfully passed the same restricted 10 yards and got away. The first thing I tried to do was make up some BS. Pointing to a shop right next to me, I said, “I was just stopping here to visit this shop right here”. Not sure how many times he must have heard the same crap in a day … he was immediate to respond in proper English – “A policeman cannot run behind and catch every erring person passing this wrong way. Did you not see the HUGE board that says no-entry? So what did you think if one guy goes through, everyone can? What are rules for?”

The cops in this state are characteristically known for like their potbellies and mamool-vasool-raja qualities (forcible bribe suckers). I was very surprised that this guy was in peak physical shape and he spoke very proper English and that too with decency. I was quick to apologize and said “Sorry sire. I knew this was the wrong way and despite knowing that it was not the right thing to do I did it.” I was not sure if he was expecting a mamool (bribe) out of me. Unsure of whether the apology helped / worsened the situation I was thinking what was next – whether to reach my pocket or what. To my utter surprise this is what my ears heard – “You are a Gentleman sir! I am proud of you … ” and he let me go – just like that. Whoa!!! … I stood there for a few moments trying to comprehend what just happened.

There is no exaggeration in this post. It really happened to me.

4 comments:

Shanthi Mikkilineni said...

hahhaha....i remember you telling me this incident :)

Prabhu said...

you are a true gentlemaaan!

PH said...

Good to hear!

Maverick said...

Proud of you and the policeman! Our expectations are real low that such incidents do leave some hope.